Thursday, October 9, 2008

Chardonnay

I just tried a 2006 Toasted Head Chardonnay. I knew that this was supposed to be a rather oaky, fuller Chardonnay, much different than what many people prefer. During the summer Mary and I were drinking light Chardonnays, Pinot Gris, and Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand. As soon as the weather had a hint of fall in it, I began to desire a heavier, smokey, oaky wine with a deep fullness. Mary picked up the Toasted Head at Villa on Jericho Turnpike in Garden City. Happily it is exactly what I was looking for. It had excellent depth for a white with lots of oak and smoke. Surprisingly, this is exactly the kind of wine I have always thought of as inferior and over the top. But right now it fits the bill perfectly. I can imagine myself sitting with my wife near the fire place this fall with a nice, full glass of Toasted Head.

Bob

No comments: