Saturday, November 22, 2008

Estancia

Hey Bloggers,

Just opened a 2005 Estancia Reserve Paso Robles Meritage. This is a truly excellent wine. It blends 56% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, and 3% Malbec. The nose is full. The texture rich. The overtones are just magnificent, berries galore, even chocolate with a nice long fruit finish. I love the balance and medium fullness of the texture and structure. The Paso Robles area in California exhibits extremes in temperature that help create very distinctive wines. This wine proves the point. I suggest you get hold of this as soon as possible. Enjoy it.

Have any of you indulged in a good Estancia Meritage wine or any other Meritage? I am sitting at my computer now and dreaming of later today when I will imbibe a rich glass of this Meritage 2005.

Bob

1 comment:

Dr. Robert M. Oliva said...

For many years Estancia has had a reputation for good value wines. I haven't tasted any of its wines but I have tasted numerous wines, which I generally find robust and fleshy but still elegant, from other Paso Robles wineries. Your point about the area being known for temperature extremes is well-taken. A few years ago Adele and I met some friends of ours for an early dinner in Paso Robles. The temperature when we arrived was 102 but had dropped to the 70s a few hours later.

Eric